So how do we turn down the volume of the alarm system, when it is no longer being helpful? How can we decrease the sensitivity of our alarm system so that we feel less pain? Good news! There are lots of different strategies that can help with this.
Here are a few simple ideas:
- Learn about pain and pain physiology. Question your negative beliefs or fear about your pain. Find a great physiotherapist to coach you through this.
- Start a mindfulness or meditation practice. Incorporate deep breathing and pain-free movement for an added bonus!
- Write about 3 things each day that you’re grateful for. Positive thinking can help decrease the sensitivity of your alarm system.
- Come up with a sleep hygiene plan! Limit screen time, incorporate relaxation, be consistent.
- Fuel your body well. Drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits & vegetables.
- Exercise!! When you’re in pain, exercise can be challenging. Again, find a physiotherapist to coach you along. Start with activities that you enjoy that don’t increase your pain, and build from there.
Thanks for following along with our pain series! This is really just the tip of the iceberg. If you are experiencing persistent pelvic pain, Foundation Physiotherapy has a team of pelvic health physiotherapists that can help.